Thursday, January 14, 2010

Here's the deal: I kind of have a thing for Haiti.
Growing up in Boston, which has a relatively huge Haitian population, it's hard to miss little snippets of Haiti. The people across the street from my mother's house were Haitian. The man who owned Parnell's, the corner store two blocks down, moved to Cambridge twenty years earlier but still did a mean business in Haitian groceries and candy. In middle school, so many of my friends spoke Creole, I started to pick it up. (The only word I can still remember means "fuck." I try to avoid using it in daily conversation.)

Anyway, this is all to say that when I heard about the earthquake, it felt personal. Not nearly as personal as it does for all the actual Haitians, but still. It's just so unfair. So very, very unfair. So today, if praying is your thing, let's do that. If good vibes are, let's send some that way. If you don't believe in either of those things, let's send some money. 'Cause Haiti needs it all.


{Day of Action thought up by AphroChic}

*I'll be back tomorrow with Birthday Posts. This is just kind of consuming me right now.

3 comments:

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.