Friday, May 16, 2008

This post might come off as really snooty. Or maybe not.

So, several times in the past few weeks, I've had conversations with people where they have discussed, in all seriousness, people who "just aren't very smart."
Every time I hear this, it shocks me. What about the fact that everyone is smart, just in different ways? It's a pretty well-established fact, isn't it? I mean, I know that in some ways, the theory of multiple intelligences seems like a way to make people feel better about themselves, but if you think about it, it makes sense. It really does. I truly believe that everyone has something that they're really, truly good at. For many people, that thing is not school. But that doesn't mean they're not smart. They're just different.
I'm elitist about many many things, but my intelligence or lack thereof, and that of the people around me, is not one of them.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.