Thursday, January 17, 2008

It is time for cookies.


There is nothing like the prospect of searching for a real job to get me off my ass.
Unfortunately for my future career, the only thing a job search motivates me to do is bake. This is lucky for my coworkers and my three blog readers, though. Also lucky? The fact that there is a pile of dirty dishes a mile high in the kitchen sink right now, and, because I am forced to avoid doing those, I must blog.
Seriously, my life is so hard.
I have been craving sweets these days. Specifically, cookies. Oatmeal cookies. Full of raisins and coconut and chocolate chips. What's a poor procrastinating cookie-craver to do? If you happen to own a cookbook all about delicious cookies, the answer is simple. Open it up.


In Rosie's Chocolate-Packed, Jam-Filled, Butter-Rich No-Holds-Barred Cookie Book, I found what I was looking for, in Rosie's Oatmeal Cookie. I made a few tweaks, because I've started reading food blogs and that's what food bloggers do, they make tweaks. Also, I wanted some chocolate chips in my cookies. So I added them.


All in all, they came out pretty well, crispy and chewy and just right to eat with a glass of milk. They were a little dark-tasting, though, so next time, if I remember, I'll use a little less cinnamon, and I might leave out the molasses all together. (Honestly, I am such a badass.) On the whole, though, well worth making again. And eating. Definitely worth eating again.






Rosie's Oatmeal Cookies
Adapted from Rosie's Bakery's Chocolate-Packed Jam-Filled Butter-Rich No-Holds-Barred Cookie Book by Judy Rosenberg.
3/4 c all-purpose flour
3/4 t baking soda
3/4 t ground cinnamon
1/2 t salt
8 1/2 T ( 1 stick plus 1 1/2 t) unsalted butter at room temperature (except I never have unsalted butter, nor is it ever at room temperature. My cookies always turn out fine)
1/3 c plus 2 T (lightly packed) light brown sugar (in the Abbiebabble house, we always buy dark brown sugar. It is fine.)
7 T granulated sugar
1 T plus 1 t molasses (I used slightly less because I don't like molasses, and also, I used dark brown sugar)
2 1/4 t water
1/2 t pure vanilla extract
1 large egg
2 c plus 1 T rolled oats
1/2 c shredded sweetened coconut
1/2 c plus 2 T golden raisins (except I used regular raisins, because I was not about to go shopping, just so I could make some cookies)
1/2 c chocolate chips (Abbie addition!)

1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit. Line several baking sheets with parchment paper, or lightly grease them with vegetable oil.
2. Sift the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt together into a small bowl and set aside.
3. Using an electric mixer on medium speed, cream the butter, both sugars, the molasses, water, and vanilla together in a medium-size bowl until light and fluffy, about 1 1/2 minutes. Stop the mixer twice during the process to scrape the bowl with a rubber spatula.
4. Add the egg and mix on medium-low speed to incorporate it, about 20 seconds.
5. Add the flour mixture and mix on medium-low speed for 10 seconds. Scrape the bowl, then mix until blended, about 5 seconds more. Scrape the bowl.
6. Add the oats and mix for several seconds on low speed to blend them in. Add the coconut and raisins (and the chocolate chips!) and mix until blended.
7. Drop the dough by heaping tablespoons about 2 inches apart onto the prepared baking sheets.
8. Bake the cookies until they are golden around the edges and lighter in the center, 12 to 14 minutes. Cool them on the baking sheets.
Makes 20 cookies.

3 comments:

  1. This post makes me VERY hungry for cookies. Grrr. -Love, the person who used to live below you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have possibly more productive procrastination habits than I do. I would feel like such a productive member of my house if I did that...I might not have my paper done, but at least I would have fed my housemates.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We should start our own recipe blog.

    No, seriously. We're both reading so many other food blogs that we might as start one of our own.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.