Monday, March 21, 2011

Item Number 4? Double Check.

S0. When I turned 25, I made this list.

One of the things on it, number four, was to run a 10k (that's 6.2 miles).
I'd recently kind of sort of started thinking about running again (I started running for the first time when I was nine, and then I stopped by mid-high school), and that seemed like a lofty but achievable goal.


{We didn't exactly remember to take pictures. So roomie Emma and I did a reenactment in our living room. It went down just like this, promise.}

This past weekend, I finished a half marathon. That's 13.1 miles, or more than twice my goal. Once I started really running last fall, I just kind of realized I liked it, so I kept going. Suddenly, a half marathon made sense. I signed up for one in February, but then I got horribly sick the weekend of the race, and it snowed, so instead, I raced yesterday, in New Bedford. The weather was perfect- it was sunny and not too windy, and I kept a pretty steady pace right through to the end, where they gave me orange slices and a medal.



You guys, it was amazing. It was so much fun, and the weather was nice, and we got to run along the ocean, and I pushed my body to go faster than I thought I could, and it was just awesome. Now, I think everyone should do a race like that.

Really, though, I only did it because seven months ago I told the internet that I wanted to do a whole bunch of things. I'll do a recap closer to my birthday, but now, I think everyone should make a list like that, too.

p.s. Thanks to Christine for being my super awesome race buddy and Nicole who doesn't read the blog for SCREAMING for me at the finish line. That was so super motivating.

17 comments:

  1. HOORAY!

    (LA marathon was yesterday and a friend of mine was running it, so we stood out there in the pouring rain to cheer them on. I thought it was amazing to see everybody come by!)

    Good work Abbie! What are you going to do next?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, Abbie! I've been trying to train for my second 10K but I have been so horribly sick for a month now and have fallen so far behind that I finally had to admit defeat. I go for surgery on Friday and need a few weeks to recover from that, so there's no way I'll be ready for the May 1st race. So... I called the run store today and they've said it's okay for me to switch to the spring group and train for the big autumn race. Whew! I feel so much better now that's all settled.

    Sorry, that was long and rambling! But I thought you'd like to know I'm trying to be a runner too. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abbie! thats fantastic, well done, twice :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. COngratulations ! What an amazing accomplishment :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is sooooo fantastic. I have always wanted to do something like that. I love to exercise but for some reason, running scares me. You rock. Know that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. good for you!!!
    I'm so proud of you, abbie. what an accomplishment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Abbie, that's fantastic! I used to run pretty regularly although I never really ran more than 5 miles at once. I've finally gone back to yoga, thanks to my list in January and I'm thinking about running. HOw long did it take you to train for the half? Also, I'm all about lists. And when you publish them on the Internets, it holds you accountable.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the photo :) Great job! I only ran a 10K once ~ years ago in Wash. D..C.. ~ my bod was never meant to run/jog! BUT, ever since, I have been a very faithful power walker!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. wow that is amazing. I wish I could get the motivation to do that. congrats to you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Abbie! What a serious achievement!! You must be so proud of yourself! And that photo - priceless! x

    ReplyDelete
  11. running a half marathon is something ive always really wanted to do. i lack discipline - something im working on.

    i definitely admire you for doing it! way to go girl! xx

    ReplyDelete
  12. Awesome! I'm so impressed and inspired. I should start running.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.