Wednesday, March 9, 2011

I made you some cookies


This is my five hundredth post.

Huh. I've been doing this blogging thing for a while.

To celebrate, I made some cookies. But then I ate them, so you'll have to make your own. I'll share the recipe, though, because it is, quite simply, the best chocolate chip cookie recipe out there. Promise you'll make it, okay?

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies in the History of Ever
barely adapted at all from Smitten Kitchen

2 Cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for sprinkling
3/4 cup salted butter, melted
1 cup packed brown sugar (I usually use 1/2 a cup and double the regular sugar)
1/2 cup white sugar (unless I halve the brown sugar, in which case I use a whole cup of white sugar)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
1 egg
12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Sift together dry ingredients. Set aside. (True confession: I rarely do this. The cookies do turn out better if you do, though. Sift at your own discretion.)
3. Cream together melted butter and sugars.
4. Add egg and vanilla, beat until pale and fluffy.
5. Mix in sifted ingredients until just blended. Mix in chocolate chips.
6. Scoop dough into cookie-sized chunks, and roll into balls with your hands. Sprinkle with salt (this step is key to chocolate chip cookie nirvana). Bake- 10-12 minutes for small cookies, 15-17 for larger ones.


18 comments:

  1. i love smitten kitchen they have the best recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i've been in a cookie baking mood for some time now. just may have to indulge.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look wonderful, and sound simple enough! I'll certainly give them a go! Thanks for sharing! xxxx

    alwaysxbeing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been lucky enough for Abbie to bake these for me in my apartment, sprinkle them with fleur de sel, and sandwich them around icecream. Two words: HOLY MOLY. I spent most of the rest of the night twitching ecstatically :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never made a Smitten Kitchen recipe that didn't turn out totally divine, definitely trying these bad boys soon! You had me at sprinkle with salt. Well actually you had me at cookie, but the salt trick brought me over the edge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. cookies!!! nom, nom, nom! oh, pardon me. i let my inner cookie monster out for a second. congrats on 500 posts!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I promise! I want one (or five) right now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. can't go wrong with smitten kitchen. ever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look and sound divine! Happy 500th post and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mmmm, thanks for the recipe! And Happy 500th post. Enjoy your weekend, Abbie!

    ReplyDelete
  11. 500th post! Wow! I just posted my 100th post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. these look delicious! Yeay for 500 posts :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A few days ago, Berko made these cookies for me (amongst other people, because the two of us can't eat the WHOLE batch of cookies). There's nothing quite like someone you love making you cookies from the recipe of another someone you love. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.