Wednesday, April 7, 2010

On Inspiration

Inspiration

I am a huge magazine fiend.

I love buying them at my favorite newsstand (I know subscriptions are so much cheaper, but seriously, who wouldn't want an excuse to go to this place whenever possible?). I love reading them while I drink a latte on the patio at Hi Rise. When I'm done reading them, I love cutting out all of the most beautiful pictures and sticking them in the back of my moleskine, then gluing them down in exactly the perfect combinations, creating portable inspiration boards for every mood.

Lately, though, I've been so busy I haven't had time to go through and pick out the images that spoke to me, so my magazines have been piling up. The stack was getting to be nearly a foot tall- just thinking about it overwhelmed me. This is not ideal for something that's supposed to be inspiring. So last night, I came home, changed into shorts and a t-shirt, threw open my windows, and sat down.

I haven't been this inspired in quite some time.

Seriously, you should try it some time.

11 comments:

  1. How wonderful!
    I love my magz as well.
    One of these days, I'm going to scan all my fave images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love magazines too, but these days it seems like all the magazines I love are going out of business. sigh.
    I go to the news stand and I just get depressed that there's no Gourmet or Domino.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am so inspired by paper scraps... cutting and pasting and assembling. maybe it's cause i'm not so great at drawing or painting all by myself - and assembling is just another form of creating!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't you love getting bouts of inspiration like that?

    ReplyDelete
  5. would you show us some of your inspiration boards? i am HORRIBLE at collages.. but would love to see some good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really, really need to sit down and do this myself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a great idea. Magazines are my vice too if I let them be. Then I finish reading one and I'm like, "wow I spent $6.00 on that?"

    but i agree cutting them up is fun.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am right there with you! I call it a "purging party" (which sounds like a party for people with eating disorders, but it's really when I go through and do all my inspirational clipping, and get rid of those stacks of magazines)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh dear...i'm one of those terrible people who spend ages reading magazines in the store (from cover to cover) but never actually buy them....

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love buying magazines too. It's a guilty little pleasure! ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.