Monday, October 29, 2012

Should you ever find yourself in North Cambridge, not too far from Davis Square and the Arlington border, I strongly recommend a trip to Verna's.

IMG_2932

They're a little hole-in-the-wall, but they make the best donuts around. I've been going since I was tiny. My dad would take Dewey and me out for a chocolate honey dipped and an orange juice most Saturday mornings when we were little.

IMG_2933
(the chocolate honey-dipped are still my favorite)

Anyway, I recommend that you get a dozen. Include a couple of coffee rolls, even if they're not your favorite. Someone will like them.

IMG_2942

Then, find a couple of friends and a good place to sit. (You may need to drive. Or you could walk to Davis.)
Coffee's a pretty good thing, too.

IMG_2945

Then you should eat the donuts and be happy.

13 comments:

  1. Oh that is my absolute favorite kind of donut! Do they make the donuts there? I work right near Alewife, so I'm close by. And you can hardly find a place that makes fresh donuts anymore. Yum! You're making me want to venture out into the storm for one of these :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do make the donuts there! Right in the back! It's well worth a trip. They're absolutely the best I've ever had.

      Delete
  2. yes! I've been here. Just once. I LOVE that your dad used to take you. I want that for my family, I want Joe to take Lux to donuts on the weekend. The best kind of treat. I wanted the interior to be just a tiny-bit more photogenic, but oh well. They were delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How can you not be happy when you eat donuts??... yum! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. HUH. WHAT. I WANT ALL OF THEM. okay, you've sold me. one (worth it, it seems) carb coma, coming at me. can't believe i haven't been here yet!

    ReplyDelete
  5. THANK YOU!!!! Rachael, Natalie and I were seriously just talking about how Boston doesn't have donuts!!

    HORRAY for Verna's!

    (plus, I live in Arlington. Bonus points for ME!) :-D

    ReplyDelete
  6. PS They just had a Groupon for this place the other day!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gah, these look SO GOOD. Us English just can't do donuts that well :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. Those chocolate donuts look like the BEST THING EVER. We're also right around the corner from Twin Donuts, and haven't been yet...but have heard that theirs are great too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. those donuts look absolutely amazing!! oh my gosh can you send me a box right now please?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comments! People who comment are my favorite people.